Forest fire prevention
In the last years devastating forest fires in Ibiza have caused environmental havoc and made prevention measures more urgent than ever. In 2012 IPF supported a seminar on sustainable forest fire prevention that brought together experts from other Mediterranean areas and local officials, providing examples of successful strategies that might be applicable in Ibiza.
The forests should not burn. Here is how you can help:
- Advise your friends visiting the island of the high risk of forest fires and basic precautions.
- The majority of fires are started by discarded cigarette butts or badly tended small fires.
- Fires in forest/mountain areas or agricultural land within 500 metres of forests are banned from May 1st to October 15th.
- To request permission to make a fire call the Agentes Medio Ambientales (AMAs) on 971 301 460 at least 3 days in advance.
- If you see a fire, call 112 immediately and give them detailed instructions of its location.
- If you are a land owner, current fire prevention regulations state that you must clear 30 metres of land around your house and 10 metres on either side of your access way (‘camino’). The cleared land and ‘camino’ will create a fire break, protect your property and give you a clear escape route in case of emergency.
- We encourage you to read the Forest Fire Prevention Guide, published by the Balearic Government, also in English.
- You can complete the questionnaire to evaluate your level of risk of forest fires in your property, also available in English.
- Getting permission to clear forested areas around your house is simple, just call the Agentes Medio Ambientales (AMAs) on 971 301 460. They will come and give you a free assessment and the permission you need.
- There are several companies that you can contact to clean your land:
- Eivinatura, works with goats to graze the shrub layer, together with conventional forest tools (David Gamero, 727 725 712).
- Trabajos Forestales Pitiusos (Raúl Acebes, 666 467 595)
- Antoni Bonet Domínguez (645 83 94 97)
- Join the Ibiza Preservation Fund as a member and support our efforts to promote sustainable fire prevention strategies in the island.